Friday, June 19, 2009

Monterrey, Mexico

A view of all the homes on the Mountain
La Fuente de la Vida y Museo de Historia Mexicana

El Cerro de la Silla
Our first couple days of the business trip were spent in Monterrey. It was very, very, hot. I now understand humidity, you kinda felt like you were melting. To begin our trade mission in Monterrey we toured a bunch of different grocery chains to see how they display produce, and of course check out their spuds. They sale white potatoes in Mexico, they have never really been introuduced to the Burbank, to them it looks dirty. After visiting a variety of grocery chains we met with the USDA located in Monterrey, he explained to us about the Import/Export situation in Mexico--very interesting. Between our appointments we took a boat ride around a canal in Monterrey, it was a really pretty area of the city.
Our hotel had the most delicous Orange Juice EVER! I had tons of it! I drank more OJ than Coke a Cola Light believe it or not. I alreay miss it. For breakfeast we had a big plate of fruit, and of course our OJ. The participants from the Trade Mission all had dinner at the Hotel Monday evening. We were able to meet a lot of awesome people. Jerry from Boise USDA kept us laughing and entertained, and he brought his good friend LuLu. LuLu is considered the Martha Stewart of Mexico, she was great! LuLu got me to try a soup with fungus, they scrap the fungus off of corn to make this soup. It looked absolutely horrible/disgusting! I had a hard time not laughing when attempting to eat it. It was delicous and I would have it again.

No comments: